Sunday, May 20, 2012

Elbi

My critique advised me to check out theses at UP Los Banos! Ma-effort at matrabaho. But I was excited at the thought of getting on the bus for a couple hours of trip outside Metro Manila.

And I did last Wednesday, May 16. Left the house at 7am, boarded the bus to Sta.Cruz, Laguna in Buendia around 8:30am, and arrived at UPLB at 10:00am. It's not that far, actually. The travel was a breeze. And I did not have a hard time finding the College of Development Communication since its just right after the main gate. (I recognized it immediately from the pictures).

I spent a good 5 hours in the library. Almost no other students except me, plus I was granted all the freedom to check as much theses I want. It is waaay more convenient than the system in Diliman where you have to fill out a theses call slip and you can only request for a maximum of 2 at a time. You leave your ID and you can only photocopy the abstract. In LB, all theses are on the unrestricted shelves. I have 8 stacked on my desk! Then the librarian noticed that I've been writing and writing. She mentioned that I can just tag the pages I want photocopied outside so I wouldn't have a hard time copying. What?! I can photocopy ALL the parts I want?! When it was time to photocopy, I took out 7 theses from the university! 7 thesis! Outside the university! (no photocopier within the college). I would've been jailed in Diliman if I did that. One more thing: No lunch break! This is library heaven! Oh god, I was hyperventilating.

In Diliman, they close the desk service during lunch, which means no theses-browsing. One time, all students were sent out of the library over a "lunch break" declaration. Plus the librarian was getting cozy with me. Turned out that she's a Nu Skin agent and she showed me the products she direct-sells. Haha!


I left the library at 3PM. By this time, my stomach is already grumbling for missing lunch. I wanted to maximize my time so I opted to skip lunch and save my craving for later at the local coffee shop I saw on my way there. I decided to eat at Boston Cafe', something I remember seeing from an FB friend. But I was disappointed! Almost all of their offerings at the menu were not available. I ended up with a so-so Pasta Arriabata and a so-so brewed coffee. I took out my laptop and checked work emails for the first time that day. I was very lucky that there was nothing so urgent.

Sitting across me was an interesting-looking bespectacled guy. He was also working on his laptop over iced tea. Wearing a plain white collared t-shirt, I can sense he's a graduate student (an alumnus, most likely) and/or a professor - basta from the academe. I caught him pass a glance on me, and he looked away. I glanced at him and looked away. And he did the same thing. Para magpapansin, I walked over to the counter near where he was sitting and asked for water. I would have devised a plan to approach him had I not left early. I just stayed for an hour because I still had some 2 hours to travel back to Manila. Too bad.

I stopped by the legendary Mer-Nel's Cake House to buy a welcome home cake for my baby nephew, Cio. Nasa elbi na rin lang, might as well buy Mer-Nel's instead of the typical buko pie.


The difficulty of going home coming from the south via public transport (how ironic since I live in the south) had me decided to get off at Magallanes, and take a very, very quick bus ride to Ayala to catch the shuttle going home.

Now I am faced with the reality that I must write. Haay.

No comments:

Post a Comment