Monday, May 21, 2012

Dental clinic chronicles

I've been seeing my accidental dentist three times in the past 2 weeks. It started when I was at the mall with my sister killing time before the screening time of The Avengers. We passed by this alley of desserts and bought mochi ice cream. As I was about to launch a bite, my 3-year old crown tooth fell off (one of the two front teeth). Que horror! It was the perfect nightmare an almost-thirty-year-old woman could ever have. We went first to the dental clinic at the nearby commercial area but it was jam-packed with patients-by-appointment. The next dental clinic I have in mind was the one at the 3rd floor of the mall. Off we went hoping that I can be immediately accommodated. Aside from the horror of embarrassment, I was having jelly legs thinking about the unforeseen impending humongous expenses all those dental treatments usually require.

At the clinic, I was relieved that it was actually the clinic's downtime and the dentist was just waiting for the next patient. It wasn't an ordinary treatment so knowing that I was assigned to a young male dentist, about my age or even younger, is just going to ante up the level of embarrassment.

Doctor Dentist*

Doctor dentist is nice, casual and cool about it. He thoroughly explained what happened and presented the different treatment options, and his recommended one. I thought I was going to go deaf hearing that I could spend a good fortune (nearly 40 fucking thousand pesos) to have this problem fixed. That's for me to think about. Meantime, he fixed my crown for P2,800 just to arrest the emergency situation. *gasp*

I was 80% into the post and core build-up but still hazy with all the peso sign in my head. But I really wanted something permanent and dependable and perfect considering that the affected tooth is a goddamn front tooth. No room for mistakes here, doctor dentist.  Three days later, I called the dental clinic for an appointment.

Build up

He made me wait for 2 hours as he was still attending to a patient! Good thing they're inside the mall so I wouldn't be too bored. When I came back, he was so apologetic for having me wait. I said it's okay because Mondays are usually hectic. He said that he just did dental implants and every time he does, it just eats up and destroys his schedule for the day. In fact, he has not eaten yet and its already 3PM. Haha on the small talk!

I was so happy that my x-ray results turned out fine. For that, I no longer need the "post" which automatically slashes P4,500 off my bill. Woohoo! He started doing the build up. Drill. Drill. Drill. There was a downtime of an hour and a half since I had to wait for my temporary crown to be finished. He advised that I go window shopping while waiting, only that I couldn't smile yet. He also asked if I'm going to line up at Starbuck's happy hour. I said I'm not into Starbucks. Hehe. Thrity minutes into roaming in this mall I so memorize even with eyes closed, I ran into him of all people. He casually remarked that he just finished lining up at the Starbucks happy hour. I returned with a closed-mouth smile. He's totally mastered the art of small-talking his patients. Haha! 

I met up with my sister and she tagged along when I returned to the dental clinic. On our way there, I saw 1 SMS and 1 missed call telling me that the temporary crown is ready. But I did not bother replying since I'm a few steps away from the clinic anyway. And there he was outside waiting. He mentioned that he texted and called (using the clinic number).

Done with the build up. I'll be back in a week or earlier. He said he will inform me.

Semblance of permanence

Only 4 days and I received a call from the secretary asking if I'm free on that day since my permanent crown is ready. Early delivery! Me like their service! Unfortunately, I couldn't and asked for 3PM the next day instead. I went to yoga class, to my 2nd diamond peel session, and then to the dental clinic.

I arrived 15 minutes earlier. As expected, he was still attending to a patient. From inside the main clinic (I was at the reception area), I heard him ask for me.

Doc: Andiyan na si Ayi?
Sec: Oo. (she went in) Ayi? Close kayo?
Doc: Eh yun ang tawag sa kanya eh.

I cracked up inside. Haha! I perfectly remember writing my real name (not Ayi) in the patient data sheet but I don't remember where I wrote Ayi. Haha!

Well, I waited again for about 30 minutes. I couldn't bring myself to window shop due to a slight migraine. So I just stayed at the reception area.

Finally, my turn! He was apologetic for having me wait again. Of course I said "okay". I couldn't possibly say "your appointment system sucks" for he could just stab me with all those dental weapons. Anyway, I'm slightly conscious of him getting too close to my face (in a dentist way, not in a pervy way) because my face just got pricked and diamond-peeled so it was oily and, well, red.

He had a little trouble removing the temporary tooth causing him to hammer and drill it. He was mumbling how he cemented it too well. Hehe. The hammering was torture and he kept asking if I'm fine and if its hurting. It did not actually hurt but the anticipation for the moment when the tooth falls was killing me. Finally, after stressing my gums (to which he apologized, hehe), it was out! He asked me to relax for a couple of minutes while he prepares the crown. He caught me rubbing my temples because of my migraine.

Doc: Masakit ulo mo?
Me: Oo eh, migraine.
Doc: Kanina pa yan?
Me: Mga 2 hours na.
Doc: Stressed ka siguro.
Me: Oo nga eh, stressed talaga.
*Open mouth*
Doc: Stressed ka yata sa kaka-isip sa boyfriend mo.

Oh wait right there, doctor dentist! What was that all about? You are not only small-talking. Are you flirting with me now? Are you fishing information? Haha! It cracked me up inside yet again. I would have returned the flirting if my mouth were shut. I'm thinking I would have said "Mai-stress ka lang naman sa boyfriend kapag may boyfriend ka" (translation: I don't have a boyfriend, if that's what you want to ask.)

He installed my permanent porcelain crown with a little polishing at the back to perfect my bite. Nice work there, doctor dentist. He checked the rest of my teeth and saw four that need pasta. He also gave his parting words in true dentistry fashion (i.e., take care of my teeth, not to bite on very hard stuff, to floss 2-3 times a day, etc.). He ended by saying goodbye (translation: what you have there is a sturdy permanent crown already) and see you soon (translation: come back for pasta).

But I guess I'll see him around literally. I'm in this mall almost everyday, anyway. Or maybe the next time he lines up at Starbucks happy hour. Haha!


*Doctor Dentist is how my cutie pie 3-year old niece refers to her dentist

No comments:

Post a Comment