Monday, April 23, 2012

From hangover to withdrawal

When I finished watching Goong in 2008, I was on a hangover for a week. In the years thereafter, I would still remember the drama and relive the scenes on youtube every now and then. I even downloaded some of my favorite musical scores 2 years ago (and re-downloaded recently since my old laptop was stolen by filthy burglars). Up until last month, I still have the same affection to it so much that I watched it again and even wrote about it here.

Now I'm feeling the frenzy all over again, not because of Goong but because of City Hunter! I loved Prince Shin-gun's character, the typical Korean drama alpha male na masungit but just knocks you off when he does all the romantic things unexpectedly. But my oh my, Yun Seong outdid him by leaps and bounds! The two stories are entirely in different categories. Goong is definitely a love story following two strangers who were arranged to be married. It is so cute and fun to watch.

On the other hand, City Hunter is dark. The love story between Yun Seong and Kim Na Na is placed in the backseat and the pursuit for revenge clearly steered the whole story. The father-and-son tension between Jin Pyo and Yun Seong is beautiful, which I think this is the best part of the story. The drama actually explored more on their relationship than that of Yun Seong and Kim Na Na. On the other hand, I see a lot of the Batman/Dark Knight-District Attorney Harvey Dent relationship in the City Hunter and Prosecutor Kim Yeong Ju.

Lee Min Ho was perfect as Yun Seong. I never thought he could pull off doing action scenes given that he's too good looking. But going back to the original Manga, the City Hunter really was good looking and playboy, something he uses as a cover-up or alibi.

I finished the 20th episode at 4am last Sunday. Until now, I still have a hangover and I just can't stop watching music videos, the best scenes and behind-the-scene footages. I swear I can even watch it all over again...right now! I even downloaded its theme songs and keep playing it over and over. I really miss it - everything about it. I even miss the sight of myself watching it, laughing in the wee hours, running to a coffee shop for Internet connection, all the anticipation and excitement. It pains me that it has ended. Right now, I'm feeling like I lost something that is so beautiful. But as they say, all good things must come to an end.

More than a hangover, I think this is withdrawal syndrome I am experiencing. Moving on, I started to watch my next Korean drama, Protect the Boss. It's been 2 days and I still cannot get past the first episode. Looks like I haven't fully moved on from City Hunter similar to breaking up with a boyfriend, and then trying to date again but it just doesn't work. Haha! I miss it so much already. I feel a tug at my heartstrings whenever I hear the Sad Run action theme, Suddenly, or even Cupid. But I cannot stop it. I need to feed on the longing. It will go away soon, I know.

If my plan to visit Seoul this October pushes through, I will definitely visit some of their shooting locations. Basta I love City Hunter and Lee Min Ho! Haha! It's crazy how someone I just described earlier as a "bohemian" can fall for Korean Dramas and be all-out bakya! I love it that I can live multiple lives and everybody need not know. Hehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment