Monday, November 5, 2012

Faith: Afterthoughts

I am unabashedly a LMH fan. But in the most unbiased way possible, I actually loved all his drama after BBF (Note: To me, BBF is not a drama; it's cartoons, it's ridiculously lovable, and he was just a kid.). For some reason, all dramas he was in got heart. Lots of it. Having a heart is different. Let me put it this way: QIHM is cute. Faith is heartfelt. So when it ends, it leaves a big "aaaaww" and then you just miss it. But it's not all about romance because that big "aaaaww" moment for me in City Hunter was not LYS and KNN smiling at each other, but the scene which showed a memorial wall bearing the name of Jin Pyo and the other 20 soldiers who were finally recognized for their sacrifices during the 1981 sweep mission.

Faith has that same impact. I have read a lot of criticisms about Faith, mostly about poor execution (directing and editing) and the boring politics. But there's no denying that it's got wit and heart. And Choi Young is just badass when he mighty swings that sword. Damn.

To my memory, it has one of the best dialogues (particularly of Gongnim and Choi Young) and the best character development. It's not actually a light watch for it dealt with profound issues on faith, loyalty and leadership. It fell short of epic expectations, but I'm happy with what I saw. I am going to miss the characters whom I've grown to love all through the 24 episodes. As I mentioned in one of the forums, this is one drama where almost all characters stand on equal ground. Everyone had their moments. How Faith was able to do that? Only writer Song Ji Na knows.


Looking back, I think Faith is still epic. It got me with its quiet epicness very few dramas could even come close to.

(Now for the really unbiased comment, I really wished Dr. Jang shined more and more medical scenes/conflicts like the 21st century-ancient medicine conflict, plus a grander ending for our king and queen. Lastly, I think I said this before, but Ryu Deok Hwan? I'M A FAN!)

No comments:

Post a Comment