Friday, August 24, 2012

Singapura

I just got back from a quick and hasty* trip to sunny Singapore. It's sunny; not sunshiny. Sunshiny's more alive and fun and creative. Sunny's so-so. But since it's a new place, and I'm with great company - myself, most of the time, I enjoyed it nonetheless.


See the Marina Bay Sands - check
Gardens by the bay - check
Eat Hainanese chicken/chicken rice - check
See the Merlion - check
Makansutra Glutton's bay - check
Sight seeing at the bay area - check
Ride the train - check
Ride the double decker bus - check
Lunch with a high school friend - check
Sri Marimamman Temple (SG's oldest Hindu temple) - check
Chinatown - check
Little India - check
Orchard road - check
Ikea - check
Eat kaya toast (traditional breakfast in SG) - check
Eat in hawkers - check
Singapore Museum of History - check
Fort Canning Part - check
Mt Faber cable car ride - check which also gave me a bird's eye view of Sentosa, so I skipped Sentosa
Bugis night market - check

That's a whole lot of walking! But really, nothing's fab except for the transportation system. Nothing larger than life. Just pure cosmopolitan flair, which is too bland for my liking. Everything's man-made, make-believe, unreal and escapist. It's just...souless. And I do not, for the life of me, understand the amazement with Marina Bay Sands. That's the problem with first world, no? People tend to live in a vacuum totally obscure of the reality that is bigger than themselves or their jobs or their apartments.

*Booked the flight only 3 days in advanced; decided to go to Singapore on the day I booked the flight; planned my itinerary on the plane to SG

No comments:

Post a Comment