Thursday, April 5, 2012

Province boy

Flashback 2010 (an unfinished blog I just found out today)

I heard that an old fling of mine is getting married on November 20. Who is he?

So far, he holds the most romantic story of my otherwise romantic life. I met him in 2001 in a faraway barangay in a region somewhere in Northern Mindanao. He was my uncle's student. We did not really hit it off. From what I heard he liked another girl from our group. But I noticed that he is actually good looking! When I returned to Manila, I received a text message from him. Then he became a regular texter. For months and months, we would swap stories over SMS until one time, he asks if I could be his girlfriend. I am more than appalled at his behavior, even offended. For one, I hate the idea of a "text mate". Had I not met him once, he could very well qualify as just a text mate. Second, how could I be asked just like that, over SMS? Obviously, I refused and resented the idea. Lastly, the supposedly last line of defense of this situation is if I like him enough. The feeling of like or love bend all rules, right? Unfortunately, I did not like him, let alone love him. But I thought of him as a good person still.

We saw each other the year after when I returned in their province for the Integrated Summer Study Program of our school. We talked a bit. I ended up the one directing the conversation. The problem is that he is too silent. Maybe it's just his personality or maybe he's just like that when he's around me and all he could think of is I'm from Manila and he's just a farmer's son. The problem is we are not comfortable with each other. He obviously is not comfortable with me and that makes me feel uncomfortable. I have a very vague idea of what we talked about in the brief encounter.

***
Today is 2012 and I can't believe I haven't gotten back to this draft since then. Anyway, that guy, he's obviously married now with a baby girl. He even invited me to his wedding! Not that I'm feeling like a diva. But you know how it works in the province. His family knows who I was in his life. They knew we went together on a trip to Davao. They knew we talked constantly for a year. Plus I don't want any remark saying what's this girl from Manila doing here. I wouldn't want to steal the show from the bride.

We don't talk anymore. But our last exchange was nothing but pleasantries. He even invited me to come over to CDO. I know that he's really happy. After all, he always told me that he wanted a family. Only I didn't want it then. That's why we didn't work out. Nobody wants to go to lengths for the other. But all's well. He's a good man. He's living the dream and I'm happy for him. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment