Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Latins and Indians

While I am on the subject of quotes, particularly that of Coelho and his universe, let me share my favorite quote from Arundhati Roy:

“The only dream worth having is to dream that you will live while you are alive, and die only when you are dead. To love, to be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and vulgar disparity of the life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never to forget.” - Arundhati Roy 

But I would like to clarify thus far that I am not a Coelho basher. Neither am I a Coelho fan. I actually have not read any of his novels. I just feel strongly about this quote, which is only a speck among his undeniably large body of literary work. So Choelho fans need not hate me. As a matter of fact, I find materials written by Latin authors engaging. Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Isabel Allende come to mind first. With the millions inspired by Coelho's novels, I am sure to find something there to inspire me, too. Plus, the likes of Fidel Castro, Che Guevarra and the Cuban people have always been an inspiration. Finally, the fangirl in me find it necessary to mention Gael Garcia Bernal. Enough said.

Going back to Roy.

I love that it embodies 99.5% of what I believe in. It exudes both strength and gentleness. At the onset, it may have the air of an existentialist. But really it comes from a woman who have gone way past existentialism into being a woman of the world. One who is romantic but never illogical, and one who is unabashedly politicized but not to the point of alienating.

Because she is the living proof of this beautiful quote, her words doesn't come off as an empty string of words nicely put together. She is an Indian woman who broke free from the historical chain of oppression. And for many years now, she's been helping others do the same for themselves. It is only through this that her own freedom will be fully realized.

I truly have a huge respect for this woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment